I love using candles in my bookstagram photos and they’re probably one of my favourite props, they give photos such a classic warm and cozy look plus they go with pretty much every theme/photo style. So, here’s a quick and easy candle DIY that’ll have your photos looking extra lived in (or spooky 👻 just in time for Halloween), perfect for the Autumn season!
- mini tea lights
- lighter or matches
- cardboard or newspaper
How to do it:
- Prep your space by laying down some newspaper or cardboard to protect your work surface, make sure your work space is uncluttered and that you have an adult on hand if you need one (please do not play with fire unattended). If you’re a little wary about using fire grab a bowl or cup of water just in case.
- Carefully light two of your tealights, one of these will be for the wax and one of these will be your drip candle. The drip candles looks more realistic when they’re already a little burnt down so leave yours burning for a minute or two.
- Once your drip candle has reached a nice level of burnt down blow it out, while the wax is still liquid carefully start tilting your candle whichever way you want the drip to be. Before the wax falls completely off the edge quickly pull the candle upright so that the wax slides off along the metal, it might take one or two tries to get the rhythm of this but it still looks good even if you don’t get a full drip.
- When there is no more liquid wax in your drip candle take the second candle that you’ve been burning and blow it out, since it’s been burning for a while you should have a lot of wax to work with. Now comes the fun part! With your drip candle in one hand and second candle in the other start pouring the liquid wax onto your drip candle. To get natural looking drips (instead of just globs of wax on the side) start the drip where the metal meets the edge of the candle and tilt + move the candle so that the wax slides down the side of the metal.
- Rinse and repeat by relighting candles and pouring wax until you have your desired amount of drips.
- Take amazing photos with your new props!.